Thursday, February 5, 2009

When it Pours it Really Rains

So tomorrow is my move to Portland. Personally I’m rather astonished that I actually succeeded, I was sort of expecting at some turn some kind of fatal failure that would prevent me from moving, as what happened last summer. But it didn’t. I have the money to move and sustain for a while, all my belongings have been there since last Tuesday, I already have a job interview, and nearly all my final effects are organized. The good-byes have been slightly hard on myself, but at the same time I’m glad I get to see those I really care about before I leave; I’m not completely sure when I can/want to come back to Seattle. I feel like if I visit too soon I’ll only brew homesickness, I want to cement myself in my new home before I visit the old. On the original matter, I can say now that I’m incredibly excited as the reality finally hits me; I’m either bouncing off the walls or I just feel at peace and contented that I’m willing to take a nap on those horrid IMAX benches. I’m just ecstatic to jump off that train and immediately explore my new home. ‘Unfortunately,’ I have to leave for a bleeders’ youth retreat on Wednesday in Texas. I’m so iffy about leadership in the hemophilia community, as much as I hate to say it I’m truly interested in it. Sure I’m concerned about equal and fair health insurance, making sure everyone has insurance, living a normal lifestyle, and those sort of likes. And I can’t even stand this on a daily basis, it really does bore me. I’m considering on passing NYLI for the next term, I know it’s great for resume building, some pretty neat persons, and ‘experience,’ but again, it’s not terribly exciting.

Besides the usual daydreams of late, I’ve been imagining a lot of Florence lately. It feels like I’m just entering the Doumo once again; the marble patterned beneath my feet, the pillars reaching to the ceiling, the walls, and the magnificent dome above you as you notice the main altar. This is just the Duomo itself mind you. Sometimes I feel like I can retrace my exact steps, remember what shops were where, it’s been nearly three years since then, but it still feels like now. I really do miss traveling.

But I’m sure with all thee options I’ll available to me in Portland and Oregon, I’ll be sure to occupy myself until I get the chance to go abroad again.

The weather has been quite nice lately. I’ve been able to go outside wearing only a light jacket or long-sleeve, it’s pretty nice. Also, the Olympics look quite wonderful of late, the peaks are completely visible and (depending on the time of day) there’s some small cloud cover towards the base, and the view is splendid. It makes me kinda happy that I’ve had the habit of forgetting my work keycard at home. Whoops...

For many different reasons of late, I’ve really felt like writing music again. I already have a few songs jotted down (in terms of the music itself), though it’s be nice if I could get over the oddity of hearing my voice recorded (and not disliking it), and finding a drummer friend would be great too. I think I need to procure myself an acoustic guitar for use in Portland. It’d also be a nice excuse to write ’poetry’ this year, despite my previous allegations of avoiding the genre for the year. On that note as well, I’ve been in a fairly decent writing mood of late but the block has been upon me. I have some ideas, but I’m not too sure how to flesh them out. And I’m a little disappointed at the lack (or complete absence, rather) of feedback for my last story. It’d be nice if I could find a good writer’s community beyond Fiction Press.

Calvin out.

No comments: