Sunday, March 15, 2009

There's A Secret Magic Past World

I kinda wonder what would happen if I hadn't moved down to Portland, and just stayed living in Edmonds/what I was doing in Seattle. I'll admit I was growing rather sick of the routine of commuting between the two cities, and I needed to get away from the bustle and pretentiousness of Seattle. But back there there was always someone, or a group of people, I could see on a nearly daily basis, and now that I've moved here I can't say how much I miss that. I haven't made a single new friend here yet; I'll talk sometimes with my roommates, just because we live in the same house, but otherwise I don't feel any deeper relationship with them. There's potential in some possible friends with my fellow zoo new-hires, and I managed to geek/nerd with the lead shift who was training me, which was really nice, so maybe something there. I haven't physically met anybody with 'PDX Pop Now!' yet, even though I've already started volunteering with them, but I think I'll get along with them. There's college in the Fall. And I must also say, it's been nice to connect with some family members; in the past year or so I've managed to understand and bond with family I didn't have much exposure to, which is again, really nice.

Being trapped in the 'city' is really starting to bother me. And though it's Portland, and really not much of a city, it still feels like. Don't get me wrong, I love biking into downtown, and the views from Washington Park, but it's still the city. Somehow back home I feel like I could escape this, even for awhile, be that just wondering a park, or just idling by the water; I dunno, it just worked. I need to figure out something here to escape this.

I hope I get over this homesickness soon.

No comments: